The Mannich family has long been associated with the city of Fairhope and its successful growth. The Mannich’s came to Fairhope in 1850 and the family has been established throughout the community ever since. In the early 1900s, Herman Mannich launched the first ferry to cross Fish River – properly named ‘The Mannich Ferry.’ In 1941 Arthur Mannich, Herman’s grandson, started Mannich City Market and Grocery, which was family owned and operated for more than three decades. Arthur and his wife, Betty, were known for their generosity and likable nature. The company motto – “it’s fun to be nice to people” – was a way of life for the Mannichs.